The Real Power of Influence: Using Nonverbal Communication to Increase Your Credibility
Research shows that when you talk with your employees - and your patients - your words account for only 7% of the message. The remaining 93% is communicated nonverbally.
Humans are sensitive to things like body language, facial expression, posture, movement, and tone of voice. Is there ever any doubt in your mind as to the mood of an employee when they walk into the office?
More than words, nonverbals cue you into what is on another person’s mind. The most successful leaders are alert to the power of the emotions and thoughts communicated nonverbally.
As an example, read the sentence below out loud twice. The first time, say the words in a deep voice and finish in a low tone. The second time, use a high voice and read the words as if you were asking a question.
It’s important that you arrive to work on time.
Same words. Totally different meaning.
The first is a clear message said with credibility. But in the second, the words and the questioning tone do not match. This kind of discrepancy sends a ‘mixed’ message. The communication is confusing. And because language can be censored, your employee will not trust your words. Your questioning tone sabotages the real intention of the message. Not likely that your chronically tardy hygienist will be punctual.
The old saying, "It's not what you say, it’s how you say it" underscores the importance of nonverbal communication and believability. Even on an intuitive level you know that the influence of nonverbal communication. Think about the idioms we use:
It’s not what you say but what you do.
The ability to influence others continues to be the most important factor for successful leadership. To deliver the full intention of your messages, use the following nonverbal behaviors to raise the impact of your communication.
Your leadership effectiveness is directly related to your ability to win trust and gain respect through communication. You may think you have credibility but your employees and patients are the final judge. By aligning your verbal and nonverbal communication, you increase your power to influence. Yes, it is awkward at first. Choose to focus on improving one aspect of your nonverbal communication at a time. With consistent practice you will feel more natural. And you’ll be more successful in leading your team, and your patients.
If you are interested in registering for our two day, Leadership Training Lab email Training@mckenziemgmt.com.
Interested in learning more about Dentist Coaching with Dr. Haller email email@example.com.
McKenzie Newsletter Information:
To unsubscribe: To discontinue receiving the Sally McKenzie eManagment newsletter,
click on the link at the very bottom of this page for instant removal,
To report technical problems with this newsletter or to request technical help,
please send a descriptive email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To request services, products or general inquires about The McKenzie Company activities
please send a descriptive email to: email@example.com
If you would like to have any of your dental practice concerns answered personally by Sally McKenzie,
please send a descriptive email to her at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyrights 1980-Present The McKenzie Company - All Rights Reserved.